Bored of same old breakfast? This winter, brighten up your favourite dishesÂ such as porridge for breakfast, a roast dinner or pudding for dessert with the exotic flavours and freshness of passionfruit. This fragrant fruit is a good source of fibre, vitamin C and low in kilojoules.
Try this delicious passionfruit, chia and coconut porridge with toasted nuts.
Prep time: 15 mins.Â Cooking time: 10 mins
What you need:
For the porridge:
â€¢ 130g (1 cup) chia (black or white,Â or a mix)
â€¢ 650ml (2 2/3 cups) coconut milk
â€¢ Pinch salt
â€¢ 1-2 cups hot water (optional)
â€¢ 1/4 cup mixed unsalted nutsÂ (try pecans, walnuts,Â almonds, or macadamias)
â€¢ 1/4 cup mixed unsalted seedsÂ (try pumpkin seedsÂ or sunflower seeds)
â€¢ 1/2 cup coconut flakesÂ (or shredded coconut)
For the passion fruit sauce:
â€¢ 3 Tbsp honey
â€¢ 6 passionfruit
1. For the porridge, place chia seeds, coconutÂ milk and salt in a pan on low-medium heat.Â Bring to a simmer, cover, and let cook slowlyÂ for about 6 minutes. Set aside andÂ keep warm.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
3. For the topping, place nuts, seeds, andÂ coconut flakes on a baking tray and roast forÂ 10 minutes until golden and fragrant.
4. For the passionfruit sauce, cut passionfruitÂ in half and place pulp and seeds in a smallÂ pot along with the honey. Bring to a simmerÂ and remove from heat.
5. To serve, add 1 to 2 cups of hot water toÂ thin to your desired consistency. Top withÂ toasted nut mix and passionfruit sauce.
For more information, visit Passionfruit Australia