Motherhood is amazing, but it’s also busy, a little crazy, and very often we forget how to balance the “me” with “we” (without feeling guilty or selfish)? Here are 8 simple ways to get back those few moments and put the most important person first – YOU:
1. Take 5. Sit down for just five minutes in peace and quiet. Splendour in the moment and take some calming breaths before returning to reality.
2. Prioritise sleep. This is a big one. Sometimes the dishes and clearing the table can get done in the morning. Getting sufficient shut eye is a restorative process to keep our bodies and brains working at their best.
3. Get social. No, I’m not talking about Instagram or Twitter – I’m talking face to face social! Make a regular time to meet up with your girlfriends without any kids to have lunch, see a movie, or go to an exercise class. Having a strong support network helps ease the stresses of life and ensures you get a good dose of laughter as you swap stories.
4. Exercise daily. Even if it’s just 10 minutes, it’s better than none at all. Being active is important for staying fit, but it also boosts your mood and energy. Some quick workout ideas include jump rope, resistance bands, or going for a walk after dinner to aid digestion.
5. Make your favourite meal. Always cooking what everyone else wants? Once a week cook something that you really want. Ensure there’s lots of vegetables or salad to keep it healthy and fresh – even in your baked goods (nobody will ever notice grated zucchini in chocolate cake!)
6. Have a warm bath. Sometimes all it takes is a little warm water to wash away the day. This is perfect to do before bed to help wind down.
7. Delegate. You can’t do everything by yourself. Workout what tasks you can delegate to others and be sure not to overcommit yourself. It’s ok to say “no” sometimes.
8. Sit and savour. Are you guilty of gobbling toast in the car or even skipping meals altogether? Well stop! Take the time to eat three meals mindfully each day. It will give you the energy for all that you need to do and prevent snacking on sugary treats because you’ve nourished your body properly.