Who doesn’t love a spring roll. Stuffed with vegetables and chicken then shallow-fried till crispy and delicious. For a healthier version, bake in the oven for 20 minutes (180 C) or until crispy. You can also experiment with filo pastry. Freeze leftovers and place back in the oven until heated through.
Makes 10 rolls
What you need
- 500g free range chicken mince
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated (drain excess water
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic, gloves, grated
- Spring roll pastry (you can find this in the freezer section at supermarket)
- Salt-reduced tamari, to taste
- Honey to taste
- 1/2 cup salt-reduced tamari
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- Heat a large wok over medium to high heat, add 1-2 tbs oil and sauté onion and garlic for 1 minute until slightly softened.
- Add carrot and zucchini and cook for a further minute, stirring continuously
- Add chicken mince, a splash of tamarin and drizzle honey and cook chicken mixture for roughly 5-7 minutes, until cooked through. Turn off the heat.
- Add 2-3 tbs of chicken mixture to spring roll pastry. I use two sheets per roll and assemble as per packet instruction.
- Heat a fry pan over medium to high heat, drizzle a little oil and shallow fry for 30 seconds on each side. Place each roll on kitchen paper and allow to rest slightly.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauce.